Last Monday: The last day of Bumbershoot

A whole week ago! Let's try to remember..

And I've tried to link names to sites, so try clicking on the band names, see if they work.

For the third time, I went down to the Seattle Center for the final day of the festival. Weather still fine. Another breakfast of waffles at the hostel. Allison Moorer was the first great act I saw that day. She played some songs from her recent covers record, including "Where Is My Love" by Cat Power. Towards the end, her husband Steve Earle, came on to do a duet of Seeger's "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" It was quite amazing, and I think I was the youngest one in the crowd by 20 years. And I knew Moorer's encore word for word too: she came back and sang "Carrickfergus", beautifully.

In the afternoon was a very funny, and very cool New York band called Joan As Policewoman, fronted by Joan, a violinist for Antony & The Johnsons. Her own songs are a bit more joyful than Antony's. She played a grand piano and yet another beautiful guitar.

Fleet Foxes, a Seattle band who resembled Buffalo Springfield in sound and appearance were also a great act. I had to leave that one early to get to Miranda July's short films. They were very interesting; both lovely and disturbing. Just like her writing I guess. Following the films was her performance. She basically talked about her latest project Learning to Love You More, - a series of assignments set on the website. She has managed to instigate the creation of a whole lot of wonderful art that has an originality to it, yet is not sourced from necessarily original ideas. Anyway, the book is amazing. I met her afterwards at the book signing, and she signed Auckland City Library's copy of "No One Belongs Here More Than You".