ACL part 2: Steve Earle and meat pies

Saturday 15 September: Deborah dropped me downtown, with my big straw hat and jandals. I've taken to dressing sensibly, as the heat has no tolerance for certain styles. I still haven't worn my denim jacket over here, except on the train with torturous air-con. Hoping to wear the jacket in New York... Anyway, at the park, first I saw Willy Mason. Best songwriter I've heard for a long time. He's the new Townes Van Zandt. He played a beautiful resonator guitar. After his show I waited for Steve Earle, who was to play at 3.30. I sat in the grass while this awfully cheesy guy called Raul Malo did awfully cheesy song covers. It was a little lonely and depressing. His final one perked me up though - Bright Side of the Road - and he did that one well.

Steve Earle walked on picking the strings, telling us a story about Townes Van Zandt, and his travels with him from Texas to Colorado. Then he launched into a Townes song. Captivating. Played songs from his new album, as well as ones like Copperhead Road. He finished with a great, and freaky, Tom Waits cover. Met Earle afterwards, he told me how he loves to fish lake Taupo. Said he's coming next year.

I think tiredness was setting in. Needed another perk-up. I found it, in a meat pie! There was a food stall for the Austin shop Boomerang's. That was satisfying.

Andrew Bird again was a lot of fun, with bells and whistles and violins. White Stripes had cancelled two days prior, so the last act I saw was Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Funny pop music. I was tired enough to walk past the Arcade Fire, and I went home. Cup of tea and bed.