ACL part 3: Wilco, Dylan and malnutrition

Sunday began with Yo La Tengo. An amazing band! I didn't expect it, but should've known. My camera battery died, so no photos from this day unfortunately.

Yo La Tengo. To describe them, imagine a bar fight between Crazy Horse and Dinosaur JR, but broken up by The Carpenters. Crazy Horse have the endurance, Dino JR have the volume, and The Carpenters have the sweet melody. Yo La Tengo set me up for a great day. They even dedicated a song to Lucinda Williams. Get their latest album, it's called "I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass".

Ian Ball was another sweet sweet act that day. He has made some very catchy pop songs. Day 3 went very fast, very busy, a lot to see. Following Ian Ball was Midlake, another band of beautiful voices. They're all guys, 3/4s of them have full beards, very serious. After Midlake, Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers. He played on the small stage with a couple of the guys from Centromatic. I hadn't heard of this band before, but they're definitely worth listening to. Hood was cool as expected, playing his own stuff, with some DBT's songs. For one guy with an acoustic guitar, he sure has power. So heavy. I caught the end of Lucinda Williams, as I walked up she (like so many other bands I've seen over here) was doing a spiel about the war.

Now it had been a hot and busy day. The temperature at ACL had averaged at 94 degrees Fahrenheit. That's about 34.4 Celsius. Anway, I'd been chewing on fruit and nuts, and had a cup of the lovely Ziegenbok beer, but I think breakfast had been a cup of Earl Grey and a piece of shortbread. In short I had been neglecting 'proper' food in favour of getting to the shows. So when I stood up to see Wilco and I went blind I knew something was wrong.

Luckily I managed to sit down again without collapsing onto my fellow festival-goers, and sight returned. It was a close call. This I thought, is a lesson. When I tried to stand later, all was well.

Wilco were the best of the day. Nels Cline is incredible! So fast, so tight, they played from most albums. Go to Wilco's site and listen to "Impossible Germany". This is one of my favourite songs ever. They finished with "Outta Mind, Outta sight". "Via Chicago" was beautiful - an acoustic singalong - yet on this occasion it was interrupted (in a most excellent way) by a loud drum solo, while Tweedy kept on singing as normal. It was very funny. Here's a pic of Nels Cline:


I hunted for food, and got a smoothie. I know what your thinking, but this was a very solid smoothie. It fixed me right up. I tried to get close to Dylan, and made it as far as the central sound desk, which I thought would be fine, considering this festival is aided by side stage large screens. But no, for some reason, no close up shots of Dylan's show were displayed. It was Vector Arena all over again! Oh well, they sounded great, doing a similar set to Auckland's. He did "Things Have Changed", but the cherry on top was his encore final song, "I Shall Be Released".

With Austin City Limits over, I wandered home, stopping for some healthy pizza along the way. Monday, I said goodbye to Austin, and Ruby


and I took the bus to Baton Rouge, Houston, LaFayette, New Orleans.